As companies prepare for the future, office relocation is proving to be an effective strategy for getting into better, cheaper and more appropriate office space.
With the right relocation planning, budgeting and management, office relocation enables businesses to raise their corporate profile, grow their client base, improve operational efficiency, retain and attract staff and give the right first impression to clients.
Value for money should be at the forefront of every business decision – and this is certainly true when it comes to moving office. The end game for most companies will be to end up in the right property, on the right terms, with the right deal, with the right office design and layout, with the right furniture in the right places, with everything working on that first morning in the new office – and all this having happened on time, to budget and with the minimum hassle and disruption to the business. Easy when you say it quickly!
Office Relocation Planning
For this to happen there needs to be a relentless focus on office relocation planning and preparation – and a strong commitment to engage the expertise of external professional office relocation experts to help with each key stage of the office move. However, there is often reluctance for businesses moving office to seek professional advice.
There are, sadly, all too many examples where companies have paid the penalty (and price) for trying to go it alone – usually driven by a lack of experience or a desire to “save money”. Whilst the sentiment of trying to achieve best value is understandable the result is often the opposite. Best practice and experience clearly shows that companies that don’t engage external professional expertise waste unnecessary time and money. Conversely, businesses that do work with office relocation experts (property consultants, property lawyers, office fit-out companies, IT, Telecoms and office removal companies) avoid mistakes, save time and get better value for their money.
Office Relocation Management
The office relocation management is very likely to become a nightmare for you and for your business if it is handled as a pack and move service. After the packages are moved to the new site and you stay alone with the packages you may face a disaster that is the most expensive way of having an office relocation management experience.
Although the service provider has declared that your office move management services have been completed, and you have to sign the delivery receipt and pay for the service, the truth is that your corporate move has not been completed yet. An ideal office relocation management services package should include various details such as;
- Assessment of your new office space requirements,
- Space planning of the new site,
- Interiors design,
- Construction works,
- Leasing contract (if needed) for the new site,
- Exercising the safety and health regulations,
- Acquiring new office fit out and technical equipment,
- Disposal of old office fit out and equipment,
- Establishing communication lines and cabling (Communication/Data),
- Sanitary works,
- Electrical works including cabling and illumination (fixtures),
- Extra storage areas.
Indeed, you lose twice when you decide choosing a cheaper pack and move service as an commercial relocation management service. Because, each service above is more expensive in case of being purchased individually. A single provider that provides these services in a single contract you will have the comfort as well as a cost efficient all in one professional office move service.
It follows from this that the commercial relocation management services should be carried out by the professionals that are eligible for fulfilling the complex services without missing any detail while letting you to focus on your business. This also provides a seamless commercial move management services that will reduce your down time period as much as possible.
For more information of the areas we cover with our Commercial Moving Services
How to Reduce Risks During an Office Relocation
The task of corporate relocation is overwhelming, more than residential relocations. Here are some tips to make your office moving a smoother activity.
- Be as time-efficient and as cost-efficient as possible. Moving an office means loss of valuable working hours. Minimize it by being efficient at every front.
- If you would hire corporate relocation services, do it as early as possible. Professional movers are, any way, essential for moving large offices if a company wants to save valuable hours of its employees. Its good to hire them before at least 5-6 weeks ahead of moving date so that they may plan well for the move.
- Planning is the mantra when you talk of effective performance. Plan out everything, create a floor plan. map out furniture and equipment placement scheme, decide about where the employees will be stationed at the new office and the like. A little more hard work here will save you a considerable amount of time, money and headaches in the long run.
- Inform everyone- employees, landlords, and movers, about every detail of the relocation process. Tell the hired office mover about where each piece of furniture needs to be placed.
- Ensure that you depute at least one person to be in contact with the movers and direct them according to the company needs. This person should be well versed about the requirements and must have approval about the new office layout. Changing the layout of the office later is not viable and not at all cost efficient.
- Ensure that each piece that needs to be moved carries color-coded packing labels. These labels should be placed prominently on the packed office goods so that movers know exactly where they have to be moved.
- Dispose of as much garbage as possible. If yours is a large company, you might need to have permission from responsible authorities about disposing off waste. Initiate the process early so that it completes before packing starts.
- Make sure that all the facilities at the new office are installed before moving. This will save wastage of time and work could be started as soon as employees move to the new office. Check Internet connection, working phones and fax, restrooms etc.
- Change your company stationery and business cards well in time. Place the new address and phone number, and circulate the information everywhere through every means. Mail them to your employees and clients. You would definitely not like to lose any of your customers just because you have changed your office address!
- For rented items, clarify whether you need to contact your supplier. There may be contractual obligations requiring the rented equipment be moved only by the owner company.
- Book the services of freight elevators, if any- both in old and new building. This ensures a rapid move.