As companies prepare for the future, office relocation is proving to be an effective strategy for getting into better, cheaper and more appropriate office space.
With the right relocation planning, budgeting and management, office relocation enables businesses to raise their corporate profile, grow their client base, improve operational efficiency, retain and attract staff and give the right first impression to clients.
Value for money should be at the forefront of every business decision – and this is certainly true when it comes to moving office. The end game for most companies will be to end up in the right property, on the right terms, with the right deal, with the right office design and layout, with the right furniture in the right places, with everything working on that first morning in the new office – and all this having happened on time, to budget and with the minimum hassle and disruption to the business. Easy when you say it quickly!
Office Relocation Planning
For this to happen there needs to be a relentless focus on office relocation planning and preparation – and a strong commitment to engage the expertise of external professional office relocation experts to help with each key stage of the office move. However, there is often reluctance for businesses moving office to seek professional advice.
There are, sadly, all too many examples where companies have paid the penalty (and price) for trying to go it alone – usually driven by a lack of experience or a desire to “save money”. Whilst the sentiment of trying to achieve best value is understandable the result is often the opposite. Best practice and experience clearly shows that companies that don’t engage external professional expertise waste unnecessary time and money. Conversely, businesses that do work with office relocation experts (property consultants, property lawyers, office fit-out companies, IT, Telecoms and office removal companies) avoid mistakes, save time and get better value for their money.
Office Relocation Management
The office relocation management is very likely to become a nightmare for you and for your business if it is handled as a pack and move service. After the packages are moved to the new site and you stay alone with the packages you may face a disaster that is the most expensive way of having an office relocation management experience.
Although the service provider has declared that your office move management services have been completed, and you have to sign the delivery receipt and pay for the service, the truth is that your corporate move has not been completed yet. An ideal office relocation management services package should include various details such as;
- Assessment of your new office space requirements,
- Space planning of the new site,
- Interiors design,
- Construction works,
- Leasing contract (if needed) for the new site,
- Exercising the safety and health regulations,
- Acquiring new office fit out and technical equipment,
- Disposal of old office fit out and equipment,
- Establishing communication lines and cabling (Communication/Data),
- Sanitary works,
- Electrical works including cabling and illumination (fixtures),
- Extra storage areas.
Indeed, you lose twice when you decide choosing a cheaper pack and move service as an commercial relocation management service. Because, each service above is more expensive in case of being purchased individually. A single provider that provides these services in a single contract you will have the comfort as well as a cost efficient all in one professional office move service.
It follows from this that the commercial relocation management services should be carried out by the professionals that are eligible for fulfilling the complex services without missing any detail while letting you to focus on your business. This also provides a seamless commercial move management services that will reduce your down time period as much as possible.
For more information of the areas we cover with our Commercial Moving Services
Getting an office move right is a great opportunity to affect positive change management, improvement in business performance, increased morale and momentum - however, getting it wrong can have the opposite effect.
This Office Relocation Planning Guide covers the three most important issues that a business needs to address when embarking on a relocation project.
1) Start Early
There's a lot to do, so the earlier a company can start the office relocation planning process the greater the chance of achieving the smooth office move that the business expects. It's impossible to plan too far ahead. Once the Office Move Project Leader has been appointed - work should start. All things being equal, best practice says that companies should start reviewing their options 9-18 months prior to lease expiration, regardless of whether they are considering renewing, renegotiation or relocating office. It is vital to allow enough lead-time to increase the amount of leverage and competition between the various options, which can result in substantial savings for the tenant.
2) Understanding what is involved with an office relocation
An office relocation is simply a process - and like any process it can be broken down into a series of simple tasks and checks. The intelligent use of an Office Relocation Checklist will not only help with the planning, but also act as the road map to carry out the many tasks involved with the office relocation project.
3) Get Professional Help
Not engaging the help of external relocation advisors is false economy and, as a result, many office moves end up being a time-consuming & stressful job fraught with difficulty. What's worse, is the fact that companies who choose not to engage external professional help for the key stages of their office relocation run the risk of making expensive mistakes that could have been avoided. The main areas where external expertise is required include:
Property Agents: to help find the most suitable office property and then negotiate the best office lease
Property Solicitors: to advise on exit strategy from current office and to ensure a company's best interests are maintained during the negotiation and signing of the new lease.
Office Fit-Out: space planning, office design and fit-out of the new office.
IT Relocation: to maintain & enhance business communications throughout the relocation process (and beyond), upgrade to better systems; change to more appropriate Telecoms solutions and/or cost effective call plans.
Office Removals: to perform the physical move from old to new office and offer storage/archiving facilities.
Planning is everything when it comes to moving office, so make sure you follow these tips for a smooth and successful office relocation.
Managing a business office can be a daunting task, but have you ever considered what it would take to perform an office move or an office relocation? Luckily, there are office relocation services that specialize in just this specific service!
Let's take a look at some of the key elements for choosing the right company to perform an office relocation or office move for your business.
1. Licensing and Certification - Any time you are considering doing business with a company, it is a good idea to check if their business license is in good standing. It is also extremely important to know if their licensing is not only valid in the area you are hiring the company you are in, but also that it's valid for the area your furnishing will be traveling in, and their destination too! Imagine if the vehicle your belongings are in is hindered on the road, or if the company ran into problems when attempting to perform their service in an area of the country where they didn't have proper certification to do so. This could spell BIG TROUBLE if your move is on a deadline!
Always request proof of licensing for the state in which the company is operating in, and for the area your furnishing are being relocated too. DOT certification can help ensure that your property is protected while it is being hauled to its destination too.
2. Staffing - An office move and office relocation services hiring policies can say a lot about the caliber of people who'll be handling your property, and the company overseeing their performance. Safety and security are of vital importance when you have so much at stake. Make sure you check out whom you'll be dealing with!
3. Equipment - The condition and availability of the proper equipment to perform the necessary stages of your office move or relocation are of vital consideration when choosing a relocation company. Do they have access to all the equipment that is needed? Do they have backup equipment in case of mechanical failure or theft?
Is your relocation to be completed in stages or all at once? Does the company have the ability to safely store your furnishings while the project is in progress, or if there are unseen circumstances or delays? These may not seems to be instances that are everyday occurrences, but things happen and you will want to know that the company you hire to manage your project is well prepared.
4. Insurance - No one likes to think about what could go wrong. That's where insurance kicks in. Like a warm blanket protecting your belongings, a fully insured company can give you the security of knowing that no matter what, property will be taken care of. Be certain to verify that not only is the company you choose to manage your project is fully covered to handle your business, but that that coverage is in and will be in full force, during the entire time frame of your office move and relocation project.
5. Tracking - Nothing can give you a sense of confidence about your relocation project than the ability to get up to date information about the status of your project. Instant communication via satellite and cellular devices, along with GPS tracking for vehicles, is nearly standard for the industry. There is no reason that an expert office move and relocation service cannot give you an up to the minute status of your property. Inquire with relocation provider as to their ability to give you what you require, if needed. Your job and your property may depend on it.
6. Performance - This is what sets the expert relocation company apart from the rest. Top companies keep track of their performance for the purpose of illustrating to their potential clients their ability to get the job done, on time! Be sure to ask for proof of past performance.
7. Experience - Nothing measures the ability of a company to perform what they promise than the longevity. With years of business practice comes experience, and when it comes to choosing a company to expertly and efficiently get your project accomplished, a company with a long, proven track record of service commitment speaks volumes. Look for a company with years of experience to find one that can get the job done right.
8. Reputation - Business references are always a great way to get a sense of just whom you are dealing with. Nowadays you can research online the customer satisfaction level of just about any company, through many business social media sites. But nothing stands stronger than a good ole fashion testimonial. Many successful companies will have a list of past business contacts that are willing to share their experiences with the level of service results they received. Ask for references.
9. Customer Service - Often implied, a written document detailing a company's customer service policies and their commitment to the customer is a key element in establishing a relationship of trust and assurance. Look for a company who has taken this commitment to heart when making a choice.
10. Professionalism - Your choice of office move and office relocation services is not only important to the business of getting the job done, but it is also a reflection of your ability as a decision maker to make the right decisions too. Be sure to choose a company who not only performs professionally, but who looks, talks and walks the job too. Remember your choices reflect your abilities, and you never know just who may be watching.